Thursday 28 March 2013

Battle of Vimy Ridge

My beautiful wife Mary,

I apologize that I have not written to you for a while. I am sure you know from the local newspaper that I was off fighting in the Battle of Vimy Ridge with one of the leaders as my very own General, Major General Louis Lipsett. We won! We captured the German army’s fort, a task that no other army from any nation could accomplish, but we did. Our General is very proud of our army and us. He led the 3rd Canadian Division in Northern France over the La Folie Farm straight to Vimy. Splitting the Canadian divisions up and allowing them to attack separately was a very useful strategy used. It tired the enemy down as we crossed No Man’s Land. Thankfully, my friends and I managed to survive the chaos and the attacks. We stuck together, keeping our heads down, but moving forward. The casualty rates were high in this battle and many were injured but I’ve heard this battle will help a lot towards building Canada’s reputation worldwide. I know you will be very proud of me love, as I am of myself for the first time during war.
 
Jacques DuBois
 
 
 
Sources:
Canadians at War 1911-1918 By: Donald M. Santor
http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/canadaww1/a/vimyridge.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment