Thursday 28 March 2013

Propaganda

Dear Mary,

I have never felt so deceived in my entire life. Lies! All those posters back home consists of lies! Being recruited here, I have now finally realized this. The government has been using these posters and slogans to brainwash us into believing that serving for our nation brings exciting opportunities. I assure you they are very wrong. The grass is not always greener on the other side as they make it seem. The newspapers, radio, and posters that are spread all throughout the country are used to change our perspective of war and make us believe, have hope. I’ve heard from others that the common types of methods they use are plain folks, or ‘jumping on the bandwagon’. If everyone else is doing it, why shouldn’t I? That’s what one thinks when they see that poster. I’ve heard the government also uses something called, name calling, which arouses hatred in our blood towards the Germans. Honey, when I look at the German army during warfare, I don’t see monsters as I depicted from the posters. Instead, I see humans losing lives. We are all equal, so why are we fighting? My love, I have never felt more hopeless than I do now. It’s taking all of my will to keep myself together and trust myself to return to you. I love you, Mary. Please take care.
 
Jacques DuBois
 
 
 

Sources:
Canadians at War 1911-1918 By: Donald M. Santor
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/propaganda_and_world_war_one.htm
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment