Thursday 28 March 2013

Women's Role

To my dearly missed wife,
How are you doing love? And our daughter? How is she? Today, I developed a new image of looking at women. I see them in a more respectful manner and I am humble towards them. I have always loved you darling, but after hearing about the different jobs you are doing back home and taking care of the children, it only makes me proud to be your husband. So you have taken on two jobs? That’s great! It’s very surprising you are able to work in a munitions factory. I’ve always thought of you as so fragile darling, but you are much stronger than I expected. I’m sure a lot of women have taken on men’s tasks in the factories since all the men are out at war. I also heard you farm and harvest food for people serving in the army. That is quite understandable as our nutrition needs are growing as time passes. Your role is very vital in today’s society dear. Women here are also working very hard. They serve as nurses and tend to our needs. They are mentally as well as physically strong and it motivates us to keep going when we see them. Women are also serving in the Royal Air Forces! That is very amazing. I know that you wished to do Civil Service too, but you are tied down and must take care of our children. It’s alright Mary, what you are currently doing is enough and when our girl grows up and sees how much you contributed to the war, she’ll be astonished. I have also heard women are now allowed to vote! Wow, much as changed since I have been at war. I must go now, but please take care and don’t overwhelm yourself.
 
Jacques DuBois
 
 
 
Sources:
Canadians at War 1911-1918 By: Donald M. Santor
Women's Roles in the World Wars - Wikipedia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment